Our family was blessed with this AMAZING recipe thanks to my wonderful friend, Julianne Primer (http://providencelodge.blogspot.com/) who introduced me to her wonderful friend Enola Gay (http://www.paratusfamiliablog.com). I LOVE new connections and new recipes. Both of these ladies live off-grid and just like ourselves – very traditionally and as self reliant as possible.
This is a good treat anytime of year – hot or cold day – they are just plain refreshing… In the winter months we choose to cook these on our wood stove because we live very conservatively and why use the propane when you don’t have to.
My family feels these are truly “Better-Than-York Peppermint Patties”! 🙂 Enjoy the comforts of these sweet treats.
|Better-Than-York Peppermint Patties||
- 1 Egg White
- 4 C Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 C Light Corn Syrup
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract (to taste)
- Cornstarch for dusting
- 1 12oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- • Beat egg till frothy, but not stiff.
- • Slowly add powdered sugar.
- • Add corn syrup and peppermint extract. Knead until it has the consistency of dough. Add more sugar if necessary, until mixture is no longer sticky.
- • Roll out peppermint dough with cornstarch dusted rolling pin to 1/4 inch.
- • Cut out rounds with cookie cutter.
- • Put on cookie sheet in fridge for 45 minutes.
- • Melt chocolate chips (thinned with a little Crisco).
- • Dip patties in chocolate, turn to coat.
- • Chill patties until firm (30 minutes).
- Place on a cookie sheet to chill. These are wonderful served chilled.
We’ve made these on our wood stove and they can be made on a wood cookstove too.
As far as making these for a survival situation – it would be more of an effort to lift everyone’s spirits in a bad time by means of their stomach or for a special occasion and not a necessity, but they sure are tasty. The nice thing with candy is that you do not need to use the freshest of ingredients.
Thank you for sharing Enola Gay at ParatusFamiliaBlog.com