We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (there is no additional cost to you). Thank you for supporting Trayer Wilderness with your purchases!
I absolutely LOVE fresh fruits and vegetables. I found an amazing deal on blueberries and I stocked up. I have 4 – one gallon bags in the freezer for this winter, made a fruit salad and was heading in the direction of blueberry muffins and decided to convert the recipe to a muffin cake.
This time of year we are normally scrambling with the homesteading responsibilities, but this year I have many articles to write, food to put up, books I am working on and websites to design so I am cramming things into small windows of time to still be able to cook and bake everything from scratch. So, being that muffins would have taken just a touch more time I decided on the muffin cake. I think we do a pretty good job of creating our own vocabulary as well as our own concoctions here in the wilderness. 🙂
I have oh so many more recipes and things to share that we are working on back here. I have water kefir going strong making probiotic homemade soda and I am experimenting once again using my water kefir to make milk kefir. I have many cheese recipes as well as a homemade butter recipe all from the goats milk we were blessed with while we sat our friends 3 milk goats. So stay tuned for SO much more from our wilderness adventures….
Here is a link to the original muffin recipe from my MOST favorite gluten free recipe site www.GlutenFreeOnAShoeString.com with Nicole Hunn with her Cranberry Blueberry Muffins. I also feel you will enjoy her cookbooks which happen to be my favorite.
I altered Nicole’s recipe just a touch so that I could make my muffin cake. I think you will greatly enjoy this tasty treat…
Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins or Muffin Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Better Batter gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw organic sugar or sucanat
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 tbsp butter, at room temperature (I use Nucoa or Goats Milk Butter)
- 1 XL egg, beaten (from my coop)
- 1 cup sour cream (I use Toffuti brand)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla (homemade vanilla recipe)
- 1/2 cup milk (goats, coconut, almond)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a standard 12-cup muffin tin, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and whisk together and combine well. In a small bowl, place the blueberries and 1 tsp of the dry ingredients on top of the blueberries. Toss to coat and set the bowl aside.
- To the large bowl of dry ingredients, add the butter, egg, sour cream, vanilla and milk. Mix well. The batter will be a bit thicker. Add the blueberries and distribute evenly.
- Fill either muffin tins lined with papers or place in two 9″ round pans and using a spatula spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then check with a knife or toothpick to see if done in the middle. If it is still wet set your timer for 5 minutes and check again. Repeat the process until the toothpick or knife comes out clean.
Thanks for following along on our adventures. God bless you and yours!
What is your favorite thing to make with blueberries?